Thursday, March 23, 2006

Top Hits for March 1959

The jukebox I mentioned in an e-mail the other day got me interested in the hits of 1959, so I checked out the Rock on Almanac to see what the biggies were in March of that year. Not all of these are on the jukebox.

“Alvin’s Harmonica” – Alvin and the Chipmunk.
“Come Softly to Me” – The Fleetwoods
“Everybody likes to Cha Cha Cha” -- Sam Cooke
“A Fool Such as I” b/w “I Need Your Love Tonight” – Elvis Presley
“The Happy Organ” – Dave “Baby” Cortez
“It Doesn’t Matter Anymore” b/w “Raining in my Heart” – Buddy Holly
“It’s Just a Matter of Time” – Brook Benton
“Never be Anyone Else but You” b/w “It’s Late” – Ricky Nelson
“Pink Shoelaces” – Dodie Stevens
“Please Mr. Sun”– Tommy Edwards
“Pretty Girls Everywhere” – Eugene Church
“Sea Cruise” – Frankie Ford
“Tell Him No” – Travis and Bob
“Where Were You on our Wedding Day?” – Lloyd Price

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bill,

I think a lot of the "hits" were hits in LA or Nooo Yoik. The popular music in Mexia Texas was not necessarily what it was in those places. I remember most of the music but the artists were sometimes different.

Appreciate the photos and all. Wish I had some photos to share, but alas, I didn't have a camera during those days.

Good luck at Aggieland. Don't get lost

Jim Parten